Saturday, October 22, 2011

Name that fruit!

I've had the pleasure of trying two new fruits in as many weeks. The first was intentional. I saw this large citrus fruit at the grocery store and decided to give it a try. I think it is called a pomelo. It is larger than a grapefruit with a much thicker skin which is difficult to peel. The fruit was not nearly as juicy as grapefruit (maybe I just got an old one?) but the flavor was much less bitter. I would have loved this fruit if it had just been juicy, but didn't care for the dry texture. I might try another one just to see if it too is so dry.




The second new fruit we tried was accidental. I bought a melon I thought was a cantaloupe, but was in for a surprise when I cut it open:

Green flesh! So, off to the trusty internet I went to see what sort of melon we were about to eat. My best guess is that this is a galia melon, which is considered a cross between a honeydew and a cantaloupe. I would say that was a fair description of this delicious melon. I'll buy this one again!

2 comments:

  1. Is the citrus drier than a banana? I think a dry texture would be okay if the flavor is enjoyable. Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sell pomelo at meijer :) it's pretty tasty.

    ReplyDelete