Monday, September 12, 2011

Tea




Last week I learned a few things about tea. One of my coworkers grew up in the country and is quite particular about the tea she drinks. She shared some with me & it was very good. She got the tea outside of Shanghai (because everything in shanghai is outrageously overpriced) and was very particular about how/when it was harvested. I couldn't follow all of the details but the best tea can only be harvested at one time of year (early spring?), is gathered by hand, has only one (?) leaf and the most experienced harvesters will only get 500grams/day! (17 ounces)

When drinking tea the first cup smells the best, then you reuse the same tea leaves for a 2nd,3rd...6th cup as desired. The 2nd cup tastes the best and the 3rd or 4th cup is not bad at all. In the office people have these tea-cups with lids and refill them as the day goes on.

1 comment:

  1. Cool! I have a tea cup with a lid since I switched to loose tea this past spring. I'm going to have to try reusing the tea leaves more though! Most days I drink two cups with the same leaves. I've never tried three or four. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete