Saturday, September 3, 2011

What is so unusual about my feet?

There are so many things here I have yet to understand. One burning question is why so many of the Chinese women look at my feet when I am out an about. I have noticed someone staring at my feet almost every day I have been here. I have 4 pairs of shoes I have been wearing and cannot pinpoint it to just one pair or style. I can't decide if it is because my shoes are ugly, my feet are large, or if my painted toenails are taboo. Or perhaps they are marveling at my height without heels? I will admit a certain curiosity about their footwear as well.  I am amazed at how many of these ladies run around town in high heels. They look great! But my feet would never last all day in shoes like that. Another thing I've noticed is that women of all ages frequently wear knee-high or ankle-high nylon panty hose with shorts or skirts. Given the sanitary conditions on the streets, I guess I can see why they may chose to do this, but still, it looks a little odd to me.

1 comment:

  1. I get strange looks because of my heels (I wear them all the time including 9 months pregnant in the winter). I'm pretty convinced that it is only something you have to get used to. I have a hard time wearing flats now and often get sore feet when wearing them(yet I still love running around barefoot). Perhaps I am just odd...

    ReplyDelete